Investing in an excellent air gun for better performance is a top priority of enthusiasts who are into this sport. However, the quality of the pellets one uses for his or her .177 caliber is essential as well since it can affect the shooter’s overall performance. That is why you need to get the best .177 pellets for your game.
The pellets you use are as crucial as your firearm of choice. It is important to what method you want to make use of, or need to shoot at.
Not all pellets operate well with each rifle so understanding what you want to do the most is a great step on getting the right kind of pellet you need.
- 1 Top 4 .177 Pellets: Comparison Table
- 2 Best Picks of .177 Pellets
- 3 What Are the Best .177 Pellets
- 4 Things to Consider Before Buying .177 Pellets
- 5 Final Verdict
Top 4 .177 Pellets: Comparison Table
When it comes to choosing the best .177 pellets for hunting, you need to do a bit of research since there is a multitude of products out there. Here are 4 products that you may want to check out plus their basic info.
|Products||Meant for||Weight||Shape||Quantity||View on Amazon|
|H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme Hollowpoint Air gun Pellets||Hunting||9.57 grain weight||Crosshaped hollow point||400 pieces||Check Price|
|Umarex RWS 2315014||Competition||8.2 grain weight||Diabolo||500 pieces||Check Price|
|H&N Baracuda Match Domed Air gun Pellets .177 Caliber||Competition||10.65 grain weight||Round nose||500 pieces||Check Price|
|Gamo 632282054 Luxor CU Sharp Pyramid Hunting Pellets 0.177 Caliber||Hunting small game, plinking||5.0 grain weight||Pointed||150 pieces||Check Price|
Best Picks of .177 Pellets
One good way to determine which among the products being offered in the market today are worth your money is through .177 pellet reviews. Hopefully with these short reviews, you could know which among them will work for your rifle.
#1: H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme Hollowpoint Airgun Pellets
- SUPER ACCURATE: The snug fit and precision of the Baracuda Hunter Extreme .177 pellets makes them extremely accurate every time, for a consistent and reliable shooting experience.
- POWERFUL KNOCKDOWN: The Baracuda Hunter Extreme delivers devastating force in a small package. In fact, this .177 caliber performs like a .22 caliber pellet.
- PERFECT FOR HUNTING: The maximum shock effect delivered by the expanding hollowpoint means one shot is all you need: ideal for rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and other small game pests.
- EXCELLENT AT CLOSE RANGE: The Baracuda Hunter Extreme .177 is deadly accurate within 40 yards, making it ideal for backyard target shooting or vermin extermination.
- PRECISELY CRAFTED: Engineered and manufactured to exacting standards, each pellet is guaranteed for maximum quality and accuracy. Even the container is carefully designed and crafted, with a screw-on lid to prevent accidental pellet spills.
In terms of accuracy, the product works well in this aspect. It was quite consistent at 60-100 ft. the pellets were designed and produced to exacting specifications and thus far, it fits a good lot of sizes and brands.
The product also contains proper weight and form in order to give shooters good hunting. They have decent heft and are not extremely heavy.
Another great thing about this product is that is has excellent quality. The container that comes with the pellets are constructed sensibly; to stop pellets from spilling out of the container by accident, the holder has a screw-on lid.
If you are on the lookout for a nice pellet supply that can tackle game at close range, you might want to try this out. Apart from hunting small game, you can also use this for target shooting.
#2: Umarex USA RWS R10 Match Competition-8.2 Grain-.177 Caliber Air Gun Pellets
- Produced in the classic diabolo shape; Head design, tail section and special form of the pellet plate give optimum stabilization of the pellet in the air rifle's barrel and create sharply punched holes
- Tight production tolerances combined with strict testing conditions lead to further optimization of accuracy; Constantly monitored for quality during the entire production phase to give the shooter the ultimate in accuracy and performance
- Optoelectronically inspected for absolute consistency in size; Made with exceptional material quality that delivers a spotless surface finish that is protected from oxidation for long term storage
- Heavyweight: 8.2 grains; Lightweight: 7 grains
- Quantity: 500 pellets
A few good things about this product is that it has excellent quality and is quite consistent. It yields sufficient power hence it is suggested for competition-level shooting.
But it does not stop there though, because as mentioned previously on the comparison chart, the pellets come with a Diabolo shape which means they are also nice for hunting game.
This type of shape works well with most standard caliber air guns like the .177 since it operates decently at subsonic velocities. Apart from that, the shot placement for this product was pretty unfailing and you could actually rely on where those pellets are directed at.
It also scores high when it comes to the dependability of their manufacturing.
However, one setback of this product is that it contains lead. You have to consider this factor first before a purchase.
#3: H&N Baracuda Match Domed Airgun Pellets .177 Caliber / 10.65 Grains
- Excellent for hunting and target shooting / Match grade quality
- Content: 500 air gun pellets
- Pellet Caliber/Weight: .177 Caliber / 10.65 Grains
- For air pistols / rifles with a minimum muzzle energy of 12 ft.lbs
- Screw-on lid prevents accidental pellet spills
Consistency and accuracy are the factors that make a great air gun pellet, and these aspects can be found in this H&N product.
Due to its 10.65 gr, its velocity slows down therefore it makes for a quieter explosion that will not make a disturbance around the neighborhood. For shooting competitions, pellets that do not interfere with the speed of sound are recommended since it will stay on course as soon as it is fired.
The product comes with a round nose or domed shape. This round nose shape is deemed as the most versatile because of its aerodynamic qualities.
It fares decently in terms of grouping since it can resist wind quite well. Another fact about domed ammo shapes is that it comes with a greater ballistic coefficient so this product is good for hunting vermin as well.
The aerodynamic shape and excellent energy that this kind of ammo shape provides fits high-powered air guns well. Thus far, the Baracuda pellets did well when it comes to precision, consistency, grouping at longer distances and versatility.
#4: Gamo 632282054 Luxor CU Sharp Pyramid Hunting Pellets 0.177 Caliber
- 177 caliber
- Sharp pyramid shaped tip Pellet
- Copper layer for enhanced impact energy
- Lead-free Pellet
- Material: Copper
The Luxor CU variety was designed to get up to 20% velocity compared to common lead pellets. It comes with an aerodynamic ammo shape for better flight properties. Another advantage of this product is that it does not contain any ounce of lead.
The pellets all come with a state-of-the-art pointed tip which allows it to break targets. The pointed ammo shape is usually meant for hunting and field usage.
If you want to know about the product’s accuracy, this one rates well in terms of precision and quickness which is why it makes for an excellent hunting pellet. You want your kills to be one-shot only thus this is a good field companion.
One drawback of this product though is the inconsistency of the pellets’ construction. There were a few misshapen ones in the pile. Furthermore it only comes in 150 pieces so if you tend to shoot a lot, you might need to buy an additional supply of the stuff.
Then again, these pellets are fast and precise so they are worth the money.
What Are the Best .177 Pellets
It is crucial to bear in mind that factors essential to a particular shooting job might not be that crucial for another job. For example, the ballistic coefficient of a pellet might not be that important for air gun enthusiasts who participate in competitive shooting however for hunters, this is a big deal.
Hence it is good that you experiment and invest on a wider variety of pellets if you have plans on taking on different shooting tasks. But if you prefer hunting and field use of your .177 air gun, the best hunting pellets .177 will make chasing game more exciting and profitable for you. I can also say the same for target-shooting enthusiasts and competitive shooters.
Things to Consider Before Buying .177 Pellets
There are certain aspects that you need to consider when buying .177 air gun pellets. Accuracy for one is something one must prioritize when looking for hunting and field use pellets.
If you want to hit your target seconds after setting your gun off, then look for pellets that provide great velocity. The non-lead, lightweight ones make for better velocity.
Pellets for air guns come in a wide range of shapes so it can accommodate a variety of tasks. Pointed, hollow pellets are great for hunting, wadcutter ones are suggested for target shooting while the domed or round nosed ones are excellent for general use.
The energy of the pellet is also something hunters need to take into consideration since a good hunt requires superior ballistic coefficients or knock-down power. Pointed ones often display powerful penetration while the hollow kind gets bigger upon impact.
Acquiring the proper kind of pellet will have a great impact on your shooting procedures. It will take you some trial and error before you discover the best .177 pellets however all that effort will be worth it since your investment will make hunting, competitive shooting and target practice better.
If you do your research and examine products on hand, you will be capable of discovering the pellets that operate well with your air gun of choice, the shooting tasks you prefer and your intention thus each shot has excellent chances of striking the target.
Based on my evaluations, the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme Hollowpoint Air Gun Pellets did its job wel compared to other products in this article. The pellets had consistent manufacturing quality throughout and it did well in terms of accuracy too.
Then again, my priorities might vary from yours. Hence if you want to do target practice in your backyard, the Gamo Luxor CU and H&N Baracuda Match might be a good choice. The Umarex product meanwhile is nice to use during competitions and target practice.